How to apply

If you think you satisfy the criteria for residency

Apply for Residency

How to apply

We usually fill vacancies from people who have previously expressed an interest and whose applications are held on file.

Who can apply?

  • Applicants will usually be retired and over age 60
  • Applicants must live in the Borough of Darlington or have previously lived there for a substantial period of time
  • Applicants must be in need of accommodation – you should be able to demonstrate a pressing reason to move from where you are currently staying
  • Applicants should be able to demonstrate that they have limited income and capital
  • Applicants must be able to live independently

We will ask for evidence to support any application and we will also carry out a home visit before making any offer of residency.  As we only have a small number of vacancies each year we strongly advise applicants to consider other housing options alongside their application. New residents are selected based on their housing need at the time of appointment.  This means that some people will have a longer wait than others and that new applicants may be housed sooner than existing applicants.

Please note that Residents pay a contribution to the running and maintenance costs of the houses which is called the Weekly Maintenance Contribution.  This is normally paid by monthly standing order.  Included in the contribution are all maintenance costs, water rates, central heating and the emergency warden control system.

Borough of Darlington
The Borough of Darlington includes the town of Darlington plus a surrounding rural area which includes various villages such as Hurworth, Sadberge, Heighington, Piercebridge and others.

Darlington Borough Council Website

How to Apply

You can contact the office on 01325 463083
(Please leave a short message and your telephone number if no-one is available to take your call)

or write to us at Sir E D Walker Trust, Coniscliffe Road, Darlington DL3 8DF.

We will then get in touch with you to discuss your enquiry.

Sir E D Walker Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales with Charity Commission registration number 230359. The sole corporate trustee of the charity is Sir E D Walker Trustee, a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales with company number 10501084, whose registered office is at Sir E D Walker Homes, Coniscliffe Road, Darlington DL3 8DF.